Monday, March 30, 2009

Noland Trail 3/28/09











On the Noland Trail starting from the North entrance I saw a male hooded merganzer, mallards sleeping on the same log as turtles.






There was a pie-billed grebe around a bridge I was crossing and despite me hanging around for about 5 minutes and other people crossing it stayed within the proximity of the bridge (pic). It kept diving which made me wonder if there was something yummy around and that's why it wasn't leaving.

After a while proceeding down the trail I heard laughing gulls; these and some I had heard Tuesday (3/24) during oceanography lab at Lion's Bridge were the first I've heard/ seen in person since learning about them in class. But as I was looking up, looking for the gulls I saw a bald eagle soaring around the trees and lake (pic).

On my way back heading towards the South Entrance I started seeing some ospreys flying around. And one was in a tree that was practically right on the trail, eating a fish (pics). I could hear it taring off the peices and see some of the pieces fall as it was eating. It looked like it was eating the fish head or gill first and the tail was hanging over the branch.


No comments:

Post a Comment