Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Great Starling Rescue

During my spring break, instead of going to the birds they decided to come to me! I heard something in my chimney and figured there was a critter there but at the time I didn't know what it was. So I didn't worry much about until I still heard it the next day as well. My husband and I knew that it was a bird because we could hear flapping, so we decided to smoke it out. Well, that didn't work. We removed one small piece of the wood stove and could see the blackbird (which turned out to be an European Starling) and at that point we knew it was much to big to get out by itself. So when he settled down I was able to get my hand in the stove and pull him out by the tail. He initially went into shock and I wrapped him in a towel and got him outside. I cleaned off his beak and he just laid on the ground for a couple of minutes. As I got the camera out to take pics of him he hopped up and walked off a little. He got into the grass in the yard and ate for awhile. Later, he flew away that night. Another birdie bar-b-que adverted!

Another Birdie visitor...Mourning Dove


American Robins are everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment